Monday, May 10, 2010

Ain't Life An Adventure?

I've just been thinking about life a lot this week... It has been two years now since first I was diagnosed and then my sister Susan was diagnosed with breast cancer. This followed on the heels of our cousin, Paige being diagnosed with it a couple of months before me.

Then, just a few months later, my dad was diagnosed with what they thought was skin cancer. And they thought they got it all with surgery... He has spent the last few months with a recurrence of his cancer. It wasn't skin cancer, it was rectal cancer, and he has had to go through weeks of chemo and radiation. Not much fun. He is recovering, and I was so thankful to get to see him in April. He looked great!

This week, my youngest sister, Becky, has been waiting for the results of a biopsy to see if she has breast cancer. We found out today that it is benign. Yay! Way to go, Becky! Sorry, but we don't want you in our club!

It just seems so odd that we have gone from no history of cancer (except my Grandpa Gilbert - he had prostate cancer) to having a boat load of cancer and cancer scares in the family in such a short time!

I also had an old friend die recently from breast cancer, after being diagnosed shortly after I was. She is only two years older than me. That has been difficult. And another sweet lady was so encouraging to me when she found out that I had cancer. She told me that she had breast cancer 15 years prior and was doing great. Recently she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer, and isn't doing too well. That kind of threw me for a loop.

The point of this entry, though, is not to complain about cancer. It has seemed in my recent life that I am surrounded by cancer, but I have learned so much from it. I am not as scared of the word "cancer" as I used to be. I have had wonderful interactions with many people, and even made new friends who share my experience. Although, I must say, I still wish my hair were longer, but it is getting there, and there are still sights, smells, sounds, even commercials, etc. that can trigger momentary memories of the nausea I had with chemo. I hope that will eventually fade. I've decided that no day when you have hair can truly be a "bad hair" day!

I am continuing to learn that life isn't all about having it the way we want it to be, when we want it, but about really learning to find joy and positive elements with whatever life brings us. We always have a choice. I am finding I have less patience for people who sit and moan about their problems. Yes, I can sympathize with difficulties, and life isn't always a bowl of cherries. Sometimes we feel fear, pain and sadness. That is all part of life. But instead of wishing for what is out of our reach, we need to make the most of what we hold in our hands. Some of my most tender and memorable moments in life have come to me in my darkest hours. And what a treasure they are to me!

Life is temporary and changeable. Let's love the moment, "prepare for the worst and hope for the best", and enjoy the ride, no matter where it takes us.