Cris and I decided that we need to be having Family Home Evening every week. CU Ward took care of it pretty much for three years, but we are on our own now! We decided that for FHE we would take turns reading chapters out of an inspirational book. We started tonight with "Presidents and Prophets" and learned all about George Washington. It was very enjoyable!
As we sat there on the couch, I felt like we should sing a Primary song or something! But we didn't! We just talked about how we have really come full circle now. It started with just the two of us, expanded to six, and now it is the two of us again. Very small, very nuclear! But, isn't that why we have families? So we can raise and teach our kids to be great people who can set out on their own and start to build THEIR own families! And the circles go on and on, expanding and contracting...
Change can be difficult sometimes, but it would be so much worse if our kids couldn't go out on their own, and wanted to stay home forever. That's just not the way life is meant to be.
And we haven't lost anything... just because our kids aren't here doesn't mean that we are any less a family. And we are just beginning to learn the joy of adding MORE to our family -- through a wonderful son-in-law and a beautiful granddaughter. It makes me look forward to all the wonderful people that we will add in the future!
And our kids know that we are always here, whenever they need us...
2 comments:
Your perspectives are amazing Carol -- I can never get enough of them. We only hope our family turns out as successful as yours has. Please pass on our love and howdy's to all of them!
So...it is really true. Kids actually do grow up and leave home? It seems like forever away for me, but I am sure it will come before I know it.
This just reminded me of a saying I saw the other day: "You are not an empty-nester until the kids get their junk out of your basement".
Post a Comment